All full-time domestic and international graduate students in the Division of Biology and Biomedical Sciences (DBBS) on the Medical campus should refer to this page for their Student Health Services.
All other full-time domestic and international graduate students on the Danforth campus at Washington University in St. Louis, are required to have health insurance, and will be automatically enrolled in the United Healthcare (UHC) Student Resources plan through the university.
You must be registered for courses full-time before you are eligible to enroll in the WU insurance plan. If you are a newly matriculating students and/or you have questions about registering for courses, contact your faculty advisor and/or department.
• Coverage period is August 1 through July 31
• All full-time domestic graduate and international graduate students are required to carry health insurance.
• UHC health insurance is automatically applied to your WUSTL account once you are enrolled as a full-time student or if you are an international student.
• The dental insurance will automatically be applied to your WUSTL account if you are a graduate student who receives full tuition remission and stipend in an Arts & Sciences funded program on the Danforth Campus (typically PhD and MFA students).
• All students will be charged the Health and Wellness fee.
• International students may opt out of the insurance plan by completing a waiver that provides proof of U.S. insurance through a U.S. employer via an employee parent or spouse/partner.
The Office of Graduate Studies cannot answer questions regarding coverage, deductibles, co-pays, and other plan related areas.
Waiving Insurance Coverage
• To waive health insurance, you must be able to provide proof of adequate coverage through another plan when completing the waiver process outlined at the Student Health Services website.
• Dental insurance is not a university requirement. You may waive dental insurance coverage by emailing email@example.com.
• If you waive health insurance you also waive the dental insurance plan; if you choose not to participate in the Washington University health insurance plan both plans must be waived.
• The health & wellness fee may not be waived for any student.
• The deadline to submit your waiver for the health or dental insurance is September 5. This is a firm deadline, with no exceptions.
Adding Additional Coverage
• Students may elect to cover dependents under the health or dental insurance plan.
• Students may elect to purchase vision insurance via United Healthcare.
• The deadline to enroll dependents, or purchase additional coverage is September 5. This is a firm deadline, with no exceptions.
Dental Insurance is available to all students enrolled in the health insurance plan; however, it is not required for Washington University students on the Danforth campus. The deadline to opt out of the dental insurance plan is September 5. This is a hard deadline (no exceptions). If you wish to opt out you must send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you waive the health insurance, you will not be eligible to remain on the dental insurance plan.
All MFA and PhD students in Arts & Sciences on the Danforth campus receiving full tuition remission and stipend will receive a 90% subsidy for health insurance, dental insurance, and the health & wellness fee.*
*Health & Wellness Fee is charged each semester.
Subsidies will not be posted directly to your account until late September.
All other students need to contact their school/program for information regarding subsidies.
Arts & Sciences Graduate Students can contact Janna Schmitt (314-935-8460) with questions regarding their subsidy.
All other students (i.e. Engineering, Social Work & Public Health Sciences, Medical Students) should contact their respective school’s Finance Director.
For any and all questions regarding Health Insurance contact email@example.com