After Accepting Your Offer

Information for New Students

Congratulations on your admission and welcome to Washington University!

As you begin your graduate education journey, the Office of Grad Studies, Arts & Sciences, would like to offer you some inspiration, practical tips, and resources for the journey. 


New Student Checklist

As a new student, you may have questions about where to find resources and information you need to start your journey.

Refer to this New Student Checklist to help you transition to the WashU community.


2024 Graduate Student Orientation

We are excited to welcome you to our orientation program on Monday, August 19, 2024, & Tuesday, August 20, 2024 at our Danforth campus. For a detailed schedule of the event, please click here.

To RSVP for orientation, please click here.

For more information, please contact the Office of Graduate Studies.

Before You Arrive

  • International Graduate Students: visit the Office for International Students and Scholars website.
  • Create your WUSTL Key and Activate your WUSTL email account by June 1st. (Information will be provided by the Office of the Registrar) (International students must aquire an I-20 before this can be created.)
  • Complete your online orientation modules. (Available August 1, 2024)
  • By July 31st, 2024 at 11:59pm, you must Apply for your WashU ID Card. By following this 6-minute process you ensure that your WashU ID Card can be provided to you when you arrive to campus.
  • Proof of required immunizations required. Information located on the Habif Health and Wellness website. 


Transcript Expectation

This transcript expectation has been set by the Office of Graduate Studies, Arts & Sciences and it applies to all applicants. Individual programs or departments may set additional requirements or earlier deadlines for the submission of materials. Please contact a specific program of interest for complete requirements information. 
 Official transcripts are not required by the Office of Graduate Studies at the time of application submission, but are required from all students who accept an offer of admission to the university. 
Domestic Applicants 
Once you are admitted to a graduate program within Arts and Sciences, you must submit a required transcript from the institution that your baccalaureate degree was conferred. Transcripts are to be submitted directly to the Office of Graduate Studies.  The Office of Graduate Studies (OGS) accepts electronic transcripts from accredited U.S. colleges and universities sent via Parchment Exchange, the National Student Clearinghouse, or directly from the accredited U.S. college and university. The transcript must be sent directly to in order to verify the authenticity of the documents. If you are an international applicant please review “International Applicants” for further information. 
Please note: An official transcript bears the original signature of the registrar and/or the original seal of the issuing institution.  Transcripts and/or English translations may be mailed directly from a Registrar’s office to OGS, or you can choose to send the transcripts yourself with the seal untampered.  Additionally, we will not accept incomplete files. Files will only be accepted if they are official and contain all required academic records. 
For students who plan on beginning their graduate studies in the fall semester: All official documents must be submitted by the first day of classes. For students who plan on beginning their graduate studies in the spring semester: All official documents must be submitted by the first day of classes. (if applicable) 
Please send official credentials and academic records to:
if sending via Postal Delivery Service:
Washington University in St. Louis 
Office of Graduate Studies, Arts & Sciences
Cupples II 
1 Brookings Drive 
MSC 1187-0112-02
St. Louis, MO 63130 U.S.A. 
if sending Electronically:  

Please note that all official credentials, such as transcripts, marksheets, and degree certificates become the property of Washington University in St. Louis once they have been submitted and will not be returned to the student or the issuing institution. 
Failure to submit your official transcript after admissions will result in a hold being placed on your account, which will prevent you from registering for courses, paying your tuition bill, etc. Students will not be allowed to complete a full academic year without providing verification of an earned baccalaureate degree or higher. 

International Applicants 
 If you are admitted, you must submit official academic records from the institution that your baccalaureate degree was earned. This should include an official transcript, degree certificate, and certified English translations. You can either submit your official documents to our office when you arrive on campus or mail them using the contact information above. If your academic records are in a language other than English, you must provide both the original document and an official or certified, word-for-word English translation, using a third-party service such as WES. WES is a course-by-course evaluation from a reputable credential evaluation agency, a list of other certified evaluation agencies can be found at We highly encourage your official transcripts to be sent to the Office of Graduate Studies by July 1 to ensure a smooth transition to your new university, however they can be received up until the first day of classes with no penalty.

Official vs. Unofficial 

Unofficial transcripts are uploaded as part of the application process. 
•    Photocopies of original documents are unofficial. 
•    Any transcript that you upload to the application or email to our office is, by definition, unofficial. 
Official transcripts are required if you are admitted. 
•    These are the original documents or attested copies. 
•    DO NOT mail your official transcripts if they are the only official documents you will ever receive from your previous institution. If your school will not issue multiple official academic records, contact the office and plan on bringing them in person when you arrive on campus. 
Please note: For students who plan on beginning their graduate studies in the fall semester: All official documents must be submitted by the first day of classes. For students who plan on beginning their graduate studies in the spring semester: All official documents must be submitted by the first day of classes (if applicable) 

Official Scores

GRE - If your program application requires GRE scores, please have ETS send your official score report to Washington University school code 6929. Official scores are only available for five years.
English Proficiency for International Students – All International applicants are required to submit official English proficiency test scores for immigration. Official scores are only available for two years and should be sent to Washington University upon accepting our offer of admission

  • Official TOEFL Scores: Washington University in St. Louis – School Code 6929
  • Official IELTS Scores:

    Washington University in St. Louis
    Office of Graduate Studies, Arts & Sciences
    MSC 1187-0112-02
    One Brookings Drive,
    St. Louis, MO 63130-4899

  • DuoLingo Scores are temporarily being accepted. 

Accepted International Students and the Form I-20

All international students that study in the United States need an I-20 Form, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status.” After submitting the required documentation to the Office of Graduate Studies, international students will receive a Form I-20 from Washington University in St. Louis. After accepting an offer of admission, the admissions office will contact you to let you know what materials are needed in order for us to request a Form I-20.

Color scan of passport’s biographical pages must be emailed to
Complete the New Graduate Student Status Form.
You must also obtain a Form I-20 for any eligible dependents you plan to bring to the United States with you. Please let us know if you plan to bring eligible dependents.


  • Places to live:  Most Graduate students live off campus in privately or university owned apartments. Check with the landlord to find out whether you are responsible for setting up and paying for your own utilities in rentals.
  • A good place to start your research is with Quadrangle Housing, for Washington University owned properties.
  • You can also use the University Apartment Referral Services, an online listing for privately-owned apartments. 
  • The Graduate Student Senate's Off-Campus Living Committee has a list of housing resources compiled by graduate students.

Arriving to Campus

Upon Arrival

  • International Students: Check in with the Office for International Students and Scholars.
  • Check in with your Department: introduce yourself to the departmental assistant, get keys, card access to your buildings and office.
  • Meet with your academic advisor.
  • Review online orientation modules and attend departmental orientation events.
  • Complete your online registration and update your local address on WebSTAC.
  • Complete Payroll Information forms and return to your department.
  • Become acquainted with your program's health care services and health fee subsidies and coverage requirements for graduate students. 
  • Register for your UPass, the Washington University Metro Universal rail and bus pass program. (There is no charge to students for this service; requires Student ID and Registration.)
  • Get a campus parking permit if you have a car and plan to park on campus. Occasional parking passes are a good option for many students. Please visit the Parking and Transportation website for the most up-to-date information. 


Settling In

  • Connect with the peer mentor(s) and senior graduate students in your department to get helpful tips on your department's Peer Mentoring Program.
  • Settle into your apartment. You are strongly encouraged to take photos of the condition of your apartment before moving in and to consider purchasing renter's insurance.
  • Contact utility providers (if you are responsible for your own utilities):    Gas:  Spire Energy  314-621-6960 |    Electric: Ameren Missouri  800-552-7583.
  • Other utilities such as telephone, internet, cable/satellite have multiple providers.  Please talk to your landlord about your options.
  • Open a local bank account. For your convenience, Bank of America operates a full-service banking facility on campus.
  • Remember to change your address with the post office, financial institutions, credit cards, and magazines. Also, change your voter registration if you plan to vote in Missouri.  Make sure to use your local apartment address, and not a University Box number for all of your personal mail.
  • Transfer car registration/license to Missouri within a month of your arrival or you will face penalty fines. Be sure your car insurance reflects the change. Missouri requires state inspection, proof of insurance and may also require a vehicle emissions test.